State Fish Hatchery
Originally constructed in 1903, the Pleasant Mount (originally called the Wayne Hatchery) facility consists of the main hatchery (70 acres), an off site Hankins portion (125 acres), and a Douglas portion (30.6 acres), all of which are owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and managed by the Fish and Boat Commission.
The main hatchery complex consists of earthen ponds, exterior concrete linear raceways, and hatchery buildings that contain interior concrete raceways, fiberglass tanks, and egg incubation units (trays and jars).
Water comes from a number of sources:
- the West Branch of the Lackawaxen River at 1,700 GPM from the 170-acre Belmont Lake
- three (3) production wells (150, 180 and 175 GPM)
- a spring at 50 GPM
- pumped recirculation
- Employees: 10 full-time, 1 part-time
- Average Fish Production: 25,963,170 (includes fry, fingerling and yearling)
- Visitor Center: Yes, limited - outdoor aquarium
- Average Annual Visitors: 7,500