Begin Main Content Area


Registering or titling a boat is similar to registering or titling a car. Both registrations and titles are issued by the PA Fish & Boat Commission.

To find out if your boat needs to be registered or titled visit our boat registration/titling Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page, this page also lists fees based on the type and size of the boat (question 5), plus much more information.


Preferred Option -- Get a temporary registration

Temporary registrations are issued at Commission region offices and by authorized issuing agents. This allows the boat to be used while the permanent registration is being processed. The application form becomes the temporary registration.

Alternative Option -- Mail an application form 

Please Note:  After you mail your application, it may take up to 60 days for the PFBC to return your registration decals to you, and your boat may not legally be used until you receive your registration decals.

If you choose this option, the first step is to complete an Application for PA Boat Registration/Title (REV-336). Send the completed application and necessary supporting documents, with payment, to the Commission. Once processed the Commission will send a registration and/or title, along with validation decals. 


Registration renewal cardBoat registrations are renewed on a 2-year cycle and expire on March 31 of the 2nd year. The Commission will send a renewal card to the registered owner of the boat before expiration. We offer two ways to complete renewals:

Preferred Option -- Renew online with a credit card

Visit the Commission's secure e-commerce site, HuntFishPA.

Alternative Option -- By mail

Complete the renewal card and return with payment.

Note -- Titles are not renewed, a title only needs to be purchased once.


Launch PermitUnpowered boats used at Commission lakes or access areas, PA state parks or PA state forests must be:

    • properly registered, or
    • display an official and valid Commission use permit, or
    • display an official and valid watercraft launch or mooring permit issued by DCNR.

Placement of Launch (Use) Permits

Permits can be purchased at the locations below. Actual decals will be mailed to you.