Begin Main Content Area


All motorboats are required to be registered. 

Motorboat registration or titling is similar to registering or titling a car. Boat registrations and titles are issued by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. To find out whether your boat needs to be registered or titled, visit our boat registration/titling Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. This page also lists fees based on the type and size of the boat (question 5), plus much more information.

Unpowered boats need to be properly registered or display a valid Commission or DCNR launch permit to use Commission lakes or access areas, PA state parks and PA state forests. If your boat is registered, renewal reminders make it easy to keep your boat up to date. Registration helps in recovering a lost or stolen boat; launch permits do not. Every state recognizes a valid PA boat registration. Launch permits may not be accepted in all states. 

Instructions on how to register your Unpowered Boat.


Preferred Option:

Visit a Commission region office or an authorized issuing agent to submit your registration application and get a temporary registration. This allows the boat to be used while the permanent registration is being processed. (The application form becomes the temporary registration.)

Alternative Options:

Mail in application (may take up to 60 days to receive decals) If you choose this option, the first step is to complete an Application for PA Boat Registration/Title (REV-336). Send the completed application and supporting documents, with payment, to the Commission. Once processed the Commission will send a registration and/or title, along with validation decals. Your boat may not legally be used until you receive and display your registration decals.

Visit PFBC Headquarters:  Take application and the supporting documents to PFBC Headquarters (1601 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110). Upon completion of application, verification of documentation and payment of applicable fees, applicants are issued a permanent registration card and decals.


Registration renewal cardBoat registrations are renewed on a 2-year cycle and expire on March 31 of the 2nd year. The Commission will send a renewal card to the registered owner of the boat before expiration. We offer two ways to complete renewals:

Preferred Option -- Renew online with a credit card

Visit the Commission's secure e-commerce site, HuntFishPA.

Alternative Option -- By mail

Complete the renewal card and return with payment.

Note -- Titles are not renewed, a title only needs to be purchased once.


Unpowered boats need to be properly registered or display a valid Commission or DCNR launch permit to use Commission lakes or access areas, PA state parks and PA state forests.

Placement of Launch (Use) Permits

Permits can be purchased at the locations below. Actual decals will be mailed to you.