TROUT SEASON OVERVIEW - 2019
REGIONAL OPENING DAY
Saturday, March 30, 2019
STATEWIDE OPENING DAY
Saturday, April 13, 2019
(How these dates are determined)
Regional Opening Day Counties
All waters in Adams, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Franklin, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Perry, Philadelphia, Schuylkill and York counties (County Guide).
Streams on county borders that are part of Regional Opening Day:
- Mahantango Creek, between Northumberland and Dauphin counties. This is the ONLY stream in Northumberland County opening on the earlier date.
- West Branch Mahantango Creek, between Snyder and Juniata counties. This is the ONLY stream in Snyder County opening on the earlier date.
- Two streams in Carbon County -- Lizard Creek and Mahoning Creek.
TIME: 8 a.m.
MINIMUM SIZE: Seven (7) inches
FISHING HOURS: 24 hours a day, after the 8 a.m. opener
Regular season (opening day thru Labor Day)
Extended season (Jan. 1-Feb. 28/29) & (day after Labor Day-Dec. 31)
Creel limits apply to the majority of trout fishing waters. Other rules apply for Special Regulation Areas. Anglers should consult the Summary of PA Fishing Laws and Regulations for more details.
License Categories and Pricing
- In addition to a fishing license, trout anglers 16 and older must posses a Trout/Salmon Permit (or Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit) to fish for trout.
- A Lake Erie Permit (or Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit) is also needed to fish for trout, salmon and steelhead in Lake Erie and its tributaries.
- Licenses must be signed in ink and displayed on an outer garment. Anglers must also be able to provide positive proof of identification (other than the fishing license) upon request of a Waterways Conservation Officer.
- License Fees – 2019 licenses and permits are valid December 1, 2018 through December 31, 2019 (except 1, 3 and 7-day licenses) and are available beginning Dec. 1, 2018 at issuing agents statewide and online through the The Outdoor Shop.
- Multi-Year Licenses – 3-Year, 5-Year and 10-Year licenses. Visit The Outdoor Shop to purchase. Convenience—Savings—Rewards with each purchase.
Visit our fishing license Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page to find out more about fishing licenses.