STATE FISH HATCHERY
Originally constructed in 1933-34, the Bellefonte State Fish Hatchery is situated on 100 developed acres (195 total acres) of land owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and managed by the Fish and Boat Commission.
The facility consists of exterior concrete raceways, display pools, 2 hatchery buildings that contains concrete and fiberglass interior raceways and Heath vertical tray and Bellefonte jar egg incubators. Water supply to the facility is from a spring and 2 production wells.
The legendary Fishermans Paradise fishing area is located by the hatchery on Spring Creek.
The Commission's H.R. Stackhouse School is also located at the Bellefonte facility. Among other purposes, it is the primary training area for Waterways Conservation Officers (WCOs).
- Employees: 10 full-time, 1 wage/seasonal
- Average Trout Production: 338,918 lbs.
- Visitor Center: Yes
- Average Annual Visitors: 6,000