Begin Main Content Area


1. I can't find what I'm looking for - any tips?

If you haven't already done so, try one of our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) pages. We have FAQ pages for a number of topics. Additional common questions are listed at our FAQ index page.

Another easy way to find pages is by using our Search tool. Boxes are located in the upper right corner of most of our pages (including this page). Just enter a word or phrase describing what you're looking for, then click on the Search button next to the box.

2. I found an error on your site, how do I let you know?

Please use our website questions form to inform the Commission's webmaster of any mistakes.

3. Can I use graphics and other information from your site?

It depends. We do not "own" all of the graphics on our site. In many cases we have bought the rights or received permission to use them on the site. In some cases we may be able to contact the rights owner to get you permission, but in other cases this won't be possible. So, for any graphics on our site you will need to request permission.

Some information; such as regulations, stocking lists, press releases, can be re-printed or published as you wish.

If in doubt, please request permission.

Go to the Request Permission to use Web Graphic/Item form

4. Can I link to your website from mine?

Yes, links to our site are always appreciated. Formal approval is not needed for you to link to our website. Please use URL

5. Do you have any email list services or RSS feeds?

Yes. You can subscribe for updates via email or text.

6. How do I email commission employees? Why not publish a list of employee email addresses?

An unfortunate by-product of email is SPAM. Publishing a list of employee email addresses on the web guarantees an increase in SPAM and other junk email. We realize it's still important for you to be able to contact us, so we provide web forms along with phone numbers. Visit The Fishing Hole to contact the Commission.

7. What are PDF files (.pdf file extension) and how do I view them? How do I print them?

"PDF" stands for "portable document format."  It is a product of Adobe® Systems. Documents in this format can be created with any word processor, spreadsheet or other software program. The file that is created has an extension of .pdf (as opposed to most web pages which end in .htm, .html, .asp, etc.). This file retains all of the formatting (bold letters, colors, pictures, etc.) that was done in the original software. Thus a file created with Pagemaker® on an Apple Macintosh® computer can be viewed on a Windows computer or any other computer and still look like the original file.

To view and print a PDF file, you need a software program called Adobe Acrobat Reader®.  Adobe makes this program available free of charge. You can download it from Acrobat Reader will work automatically with your browser as a plug-in so you can view and print PDF files.

Most problems viewing pages are caused by using an older version of Acrobat. The solution is to download the latest version available from Adobe.

Because many of the PDF's on our site have photos or other graphics, file sizes can be large. Not only will this slow download times, but the file may not show on your screen at all (especially with a dial-up connection). Sometimes, just clicking on the "refresh" button on your browser will reset the connection and bring the file up.


1. How do I use your interactive (GIS) maps?

Instructions/help is provided within individual map pages. For a complete list of our interactive maps view our Map Gallery.

2. How do I get the data in your GIS layers?

Commission GIS layers are available at Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access (PASDA), the official public access geospatial information clearinghouse for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

In addition to the above link to PASDA, we also provide links on applicable web pages where specific data sets are referenced.

3. Why are some rivers and streams mis-labeled on your interactive maps?

The online maps on this website are provided as a public service by PFBC. These maps overlay Pennsylvania fishing and boating information on top of base geographic maps provided from other source providers. Names of water bodies, roads, etc. are all part of this base map. Since the PFBC does not control the information presented on these base map layers, the accuracy of this information is not guaranteed. The online maps and their contained information presented by the PFBC are to be used for reference purposes only. The PFBC is not responsible for inaccuracies, nor is any responsibility assumed for damages or other liabilities due to the accuracy, availability, use or misuse of the information provided on these maps.