R3 GRANT PROGRAM
Recruitment, retention, and reactivation (R3) of anglers and boaters is important to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC). The R3 Education Grant Program (R3 Grant) provides funding to support R3-related educational programs delivered by our partners. Supporting partners in their efforts significantly increases learning opportunities for current, past, and future anglers and boaters.
Education programs play a role in R3 by providing experiences that increase fishing and boating knowledge and skills, facilitate social support, and provide information on fishing and boating opportunities close to home. The PFBC established this grant program to help others start new R3 education programs or expand their existing efforts.
The PFBC welcomes applications for the development and delivery of education programs that coincide with the agency's efforts to:
- Retain current anglers and boaters.
- Reactivate former anglers and boaters.
- Increase the diversity of Pennsylvania's angler and boater population by recruiting and retaining under-represented audiences.
The R3 Grant will reimburse qualifying organizations up to $25,000 for eligible expenses for projects running approximately July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024. The grants require a minimum 25% match of total project costs. All projects must receive Comptroller approval prior to starting.
R3 Grant Timeline
- April 14, 2023 - Application deadline
- June 1, 2023 - Approximate grant award announcement date
- July 1, 2023* and later - Projects may only begin once approved by the Comptroller*
- January 15, 2024 - Progress report and first invoice due
- June 30, 2024 - Project completion date
- July 15, 2024 - Final report and invoice due
*Projects may only begin upon the full execution (approval) by the Comptroller. Agreements may take 30-60 days to go through the approvals process. Expenses incurred prior to Comptroller approval are ineligible for reimbursement and cannot be used as a match.