Begin Main Content Area


Paddlecraft like kayaks, canoes, and stand-up paddleboards (SUPs), are considered a type of boat and, like a car with a license plate, need permission to access many navigable waters. If you launch your unpowered boat (rowboats and sailboats without motors are included) from Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) access areas or Pennsylvania State Parks or Forests, you have to have a permit or registration.

Deciding whether to register your boat or get a permit depends on what is most important to you. Registration requires a few extra steps, but there are some benefits that may make it worth it. Use the chart below to consider the features most important to you to determine whether you would benefit from the features offered in registering your boat. 

Register or get a launch permit for your paddlecraft now.