Begin Main Content Area


All powered boats (motorboats) are required to be registered when used. The following boats are required to be titled (whether purchased, transferred or sold) must be titled when they are:

    • Powered by an inboard motor, including personal watercraft, 1997 model year or newer.
    • Powered by an outboard motor, 14 feet or longer, 1997 model year or newer.
    • Currently titled in Pennsylvania.
    • Currently titled in another state when Pennsylvania becomes the state of primary use.

Once a boat is titled, it must remain titled by all future owners. Boats not required to be titled, may be voluntarily titled.

To register/title a powered boat:
Complete the Application for Pennsylvania Boat Registration and/or Boat Title (REV-336) and gather the required documentation.

If the boat was never registered or titled in PA, acceptable proof of ownership includes (ONE of) the following:

    • Title or Registration from another state
    • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) - required for all new boats
    • Also required:
    • Bill of sale or invoice with names and addresses of the seller and purchaser and the legal owner, if different from seller
    • The location, date of sale, description of the boat, and hull identification number (HIN) for boats built after 1972, or other serial number for boats built in 1972 or before

If the boat was previously registered and/or titled acceptable proof of ownership (ONE of the below):

    • If the boat was titled, a properly signed title is required
    • If the boat was registered only ONE of the below:
      • Registration card, signed by last registered owner
      • Bill of sale, signed by the last registered owner
      • Note: A bill of sale or registration card/title, signed by the last registered owner, may be substituted for the seller's information in Section F and the seller's signature in Section J of the application. 

Additional documentation may be required in certain circumstances. For more information, contact a Commission Office, visit an authorized issuing agent, or call 866-BoatReg (866-262-8734).


Recommended Option -- Get a temporary registration 

Take the completed application, required documentation, and payment to a Commission region office or authorized issuing agents. You will be issued a 60-day temporary registration allowing use of the boat while the permanent registration is being processed. A boat registration card and set of validation decals will be mailed to you.

Alternative Option -- Mail an application form 
Mail the completed application, requred documentation, and payment to the PFBC Headquarters. Once processed, the Commission will mail a boat registration card and set of validation decals to you. 

Please Note:  Allow 60 days for processing. It is unlawful to use the boat until you receive the permanent boat registration.

Certificates of title will be mailed to the primary owner or lienholder, when applicable.


Registration renewal cardBoat registrations are renewed on a 2-year cycle and expire on the date indicated on the registration card and validation decal. The Commission will mail a renewal notice to the primary owner of the boat before expiration. To renew:

Convenient Option -- Renew online 

Visit the Commission's secure e-commerce site, HuntFishPA.

Alternative Option -- By mail

Complete the renewal notice or registration renewal and return with payment. 

Note -- Titles are issued at time of application, if applicable. If a title is lost, a duplicate or corrected title request must be completed by te title owner or lienholder. 


Diagram showing where you place your boat registration sticker on the front left of the bow

Display Requirements:

The letters and numbers

  • Read from left to right.
  • Be painted or permanently attached to each side on the forward half of the boat, where no other number may be displayed.
  • Be of bold, block letters in good proportion.
  • Be of a contrasting color to the background.
  • Be at least 3 inches high.
  • Be nearly as vertical as possible and easily observed.
  • Be separated by a hyphen or space equal to the width of any letter or number except “I” or “1.”
  • Have a current registration decal within 6 inches on the same level (before or following number).


Abandoned boats can be registered, but require a different process than general registration. Find the process that most closely addresses the boat you are trying to register. Also, note, an abandoned boat may hold a title, and may need to be reissued.